Driving without breaks

One of the worst feelings you can experience is when someone you deeply care about calls you on Saturday afternoon, when you are just shopping and frantically starts telling you something. Out of the jumble of words, you hear shear panic in the voice so dear to your heart, and you still don’t understand what is going on, besides that there was nobody else was available. That was my 18 year old niece calling, and she was freaked out. First things first, I had to calm her down, in order to understand what she needed help with. When that part was accomplished, and she was talking calmly, I was able to finally understand her problem. She was on the highway, and driving without breaks. 

Oh joy!

I take a deep breath, to calm myself at this point, I have to keep it all together for her, both of us cannot be freaking out. She tells me that she tried the hand break and all it did was make her car spin. Great! Vik was with me, he is looking at my face, and now he is worried and wants to know what is going on. Now I have her talking in my ear, telling me the situation, and Vik talking in the other ear, giving advises to tell her. No, only one can talk at a time, and it's her turn. I was able to find out that she was driving from across town, she went to look at another car, and she was already close to home. Following Vik’s advice, I told her to downshift, I told her that I will stay on the phone with her, or if she needs to pull over, then I will come and get her. So she is driving 40 mph in 55 mph zone, she has people beeping at her, “turn your blinkers on” comes another advice for her. She is off the highway, she is safe, but she has another 5 miles to go, now she can drive even slower. She can make it.

She tried to call her mother, she was shopping, and was in a dead area, so she missed all the calls, her dad….was too busy in a bullshit meeting to bother answering the call. I am glad I was available. Only when she finally made it to mechanic shop was I able to breathe, I told her that I was almost done with my shopping and was on my way to pick her up and drop her home. With shaking hands I finally pealed the phone from my ear, and put it away.

Now she is safe, and everything else does not matter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking into the soul of William Haubert

Love hurts, rejection can be fatal.

I was tied up all day…