Love hurts, rejection can be fatal.

Today I write with heavy heart.
The friend I thought I had have left.
The girl he loved broke up with him.
So he decided he no longer wants to live.
He packed his bags and left my house.
He broke my heart, he did not even say goodbye.

This story started about a year and a half ago. My husband’s friend asked if he can come for a visit, we had a spare bedroom so we agreed. It was a friend he has not seen in about 30 years. Time is nothing when you put a real friendship to the test. One day he called in and said: “I will be arriving in 2 days, can you pick me up from the airport?” With the time of his arrival, it made more sense for me to pick him up, so I did that. The airport is not far from my work, so I went and picked him up.

My husband picked him up from my work a few hours later. In the evening when we got home we introduced him to my son and his GF, showed him his room, his bathroom and showed him the house. He surprised me when he picked up cleaning supplies and started scrubbing the bathroom. It was my kid’s bathroom, yes, it could use some scrubbing, but for me, it was much unexpected. Usually, guests do not bathrooms.

Next time he surprised me next day. One of my dogs was eating outside and got distracted and lost her bone, he saw that she lost her bone, but it was already dark outside and he told her that he was going to help her find the bone next day. Next day was Saturday and when we woke up, I went into the kitchen to make breakfast. I looked out the window and I saw both of them walking side by side looking for that bone. I knew right at that moment that he had my heart. There was one more surprise that day, he said that he only bought a one-way ticket, and he wanted to stay here for good. After talking to my husband we extended our invitation and told him that he can live with us. We have enough room in the house, so it was not a problem at all, and he was never sitting still, he always was so helpful, with house chores, he did everything, and no job was too big for him.

Everything was new to him and he looked at everything in wonder, it was fun listening to him describe our everyday life through foreigner’s eyes. He kept telling me that everything looks just like in the movies.

In the next few days, I was able to get him a job with me, and he worked there for 3 months until my boss got tired of him. On the first week, I took him to see an attorney so she could help him in the legal department.
He became part of our family. It was always the three of us. Life was good.

After my boss fired him he was unemployed for 6 months while waiting on his work authorization form to come in, as soon as the form came in I was able to get him a job at the car dealership. There without any knowledge of English, he managed to be the best employee they ever had.

Like in every life there are ups and downs, the ups became rarer, the downs became more often. I started noticing that he has some mental issues. One time when we went to my cousin’s house for a celebration he did not like any food on her table, so he just sat there with an empty plate. Next time we went to her house he did not eat anything because he did not like the food first time, but he felt it was ok to ask my cousin’s 24-year-old daughter if she would consider dating him. That episode did strike me as very odd. He is 49 years old.
He could get upset over something really stupid and not talk to me for 3 days. He continued taking care of the house, we continued going shopping altogether, having dinners together, just living as a normal family would live.

He had a girlfriend back home, and he wanted her to come for a visit, he asked me if it was ok. I agreed without hesitation, as the time started nearing her arrival he became anxious and started calling her and driving her crazy. All she wanted to do was break up with him. She already found another guy, she never loved him. So now he is throwing his life away, he is returning back to Ukraine with no family there no work and no one who wants him there. And I feel like my heart got ripped out of my chest, and stamped on.

The time is kind, time always heals.
My heart will heal, the tears will dry out.

Right now it feels like heart was just ripped out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking into the soul of William Haubert

I was tied up all day…